The Director of Engineering is responsible for the coordination of all engineering activities. This position is responsible for ensuring that systems are maintained, objectives are met, industry and customer standards of quality are upheld, and legal regulations are adhered to. They will be responsible for managing the Engineering Team, setting goals, budgeting, establishing timelines, and managing projects.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Lead the company’s New Product Introduction (NPI) processes.
- Lead all engineering activities including the design of manufacturing processes.
- Manage engineering documentation including the generation of job traveler packages (bill of materials, methods of manufacture, and operations sheets).
- Promote a culture of process excellence, lean enterprise, cost reduction, and quality improvement.
- Develop new manufacturing ideas, foster innovation, and work to improve existing methodologies.
- Oversee the cost estimating and cost engineering processes. Work closely with Customer Service/Sales, and Finance/Accounting on pricing strategy.
- Oversee the effort to evaluate production schedules and job releases to establish optimal lot sizes.
- Systematically examine processes to ensure that they are within our quality assurance requirements.
- Lead the effort to troubleshoot internal and supply chain manufacturing issues.
- Responsible for recommendations related to purchasing and implementing new equipment technologies, and systems including ROI analysis.
- Interpret and analyze complex sets of data. This can include the financial analysis of Profit & Loss, gross margin, operating variances, and other KPI’s that relate to engineering and cost management.
- Ensure that safety protocols are followed, and quality assurance is conducted in an effective manner.
- Direct projects with cross-functional teams.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering is required.
- Minimum of ten years of experience, including management, experience in an advanced manufacturing and/or precision machining environment; preferably within the aerospace industry.
- Advance blueprint/drawing reading skills.
- Familiarity with CAD (i.e. Solidworks) and CAM (i.e. Mastercam and Partmaker)
- Experience with tooling and fixtures are a plus.
- Excellent strategic and analytical skills; ability to use data and metrics to make informed decisions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with different levels within the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a diverse team of employees.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and project management.
- Strong technology skills and PC skills; experience with ERP systems required (i.e. Epicor ERP).
- Ability to communicate verbally, regular use of phone and email communication is essential.
- Hearing and vision correctable to within normal ranges.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position roughly 60% of the time as well as the ability to move about the facilities.
- Using a computer while sitting for extended periods is common, though some time will be spent in the manufacturing area where eye/ear and other protection is required.
- Lifting to 50 lbs.