Members of Team Horst Sports raced throughout the week. We participated in the non-championship races on Tuesday, Masters Championship races on Friday; and Juniors, Industry, and Singlespeed races on Saturday. We hosted a Horst Spikes™ Open House on Thursday and sponsored the Mechanics Championship on Friday.
Throughout the week, members of our team volunteered their time while helping with course work and marshaling. Many of the extended Horst Engineering family were spectators at the races. The week full of events culminated with the Elite Championships on Sunday.
Horst Engineering was heavily invested in the success of this event. We were founded in Hartford and our headquarters is on the Connecticut River in East Hartford, a stone’s throw from the Riverside Park venue. We are longtime supporters of hosts: The Connecticut Cycling Advancement Program (CCAP) and Riverfront Recapture.
The Riverside Park venue is no stranger to cyclocross racing. Team Horst Sports promoted the inaugural Connecticut Riverfront Cyclocross in 2003. Arthur Roti, Horst Engineering’s General Manager, and the designer of Horst Spikes™, was the Race Director. Our team hosted the event several times in the mid-2000’s before it was retired during an extremely wet year when the venue flooded.
This was the sister race to the Frank-N-Horst Cross, which we co-promoted with Team Frank in Keene, New Hampshire, from 1998-2004. We also promoted the Fox Hill Cyclocross in Rockville, Connecticut from 2000-2003. In recent years, the Riverfront CX came back to life and has been directed by Ron Manizza. The race is now part of the CT Series of CX.
Our lineup of Horst Spikes™ cyclocross toe spikes were tested and developed on our hometown course. Cross Spikes™ have brought us back into the bicycling industry in a big way. Our roots are in bikes and we were so proud that Hartford hosted such a cool event.
The epic mud, ice, and snow that impacted races from Tuesday through Sunday were perfect conditions for our Cross Spikes™. The course has been described as the hardest ever championship race on USA soil. Numerous off-camber sections, steep hills (up and down), twists and turns, plus the weather made for an incredible challenge.
We welcomed visitors to our plant throughout the week and helped more than a hundred new customers get outfitted with Horst Spikes™. Many were from the west coast, including California, New Mexico, and Washington. The challenging conditions and the popularity of our Ice & Snow Spikes, caused us to sell out twice during the week. Our amazing Manufacturing Team rallied, and produced another batch overnight.
There were more than 40 races in a variety of age groups/categories. So many of the top finishers were using Horst Spikes™, that we couldn’t keep track. Many of them were our sponsored riders.
Highlights of our sponsored riders and other notable riders who used our spikes with success include:
- Katie Compton, 1st Elite Women Championship
- Stephen Hyde, 1st, Elite Men Championship
- Ellen Noble, 1st Women U23 Championship
- Kaitlin Antonneau, 3rd, Elite Women Championship
- Emma White, 2nd Women U23 Championship
- Adam Myerson, 1st, Men Masters 45-49 Championship and Men Masters 40-49 Non-Championship
- Matt Timmerman, 1st Men Masters 40-44 Championship
- Tove Shere, 1st, Women Masters 65-69 Championship
- Lizzy Gunsalus, 1st Women Junior 13-14 Championship
- Crystal Anthony, 6th Elite Women Championship
- Curtis White, 6th Men U23 Championship
- Skyler Mackey, 9th Men U23 Championship
- Eneas Freyre, 2nd, Men Masters 40-49 Non-Championship
- Cassandra Maximenko, 2nd, Women 23-39 Non-Championship and 19th Elite Women Championship
- Robert Marion, 2nd, Men 23-39 Non-Championship and 21st Elite Men Championship
- Greg Gunsalus, 8th Men Junior 17-18 Championship
- Shadd Smith, 6th, Men 45-49 Championship
- Finn Smith, 6th, Junior 11-12 Championship
- Kate Northcott, 20th, Elite Women Championship
- Jeremy Powers, 24th, Elite Men Championship
This event brought the USA cyclocross season to a close, however the international season continues with the UCI World Cup, Superprestige series, and next month’s UCI World Championships. This weekend, several of our sponsored riders are competing at the UCI World-Cup in Hoogerheide, The Netherlands.
Next year, the USA Cyclocross National Championships moves to Reno, Nevada. We hope to have this fantastic event back in New England again.