Propel your career forward with an opportunity to engineer critical components at a dynamic aerospace manufacturer. The Horst Engineering Family of Companies is a 71-year-old privately held business that has continuously modernized. Growth opportunities in aerospace manufacturing have never been better. We precision machine parts for some of the strongest and most innovative OEM customers in the industry. Join a modern company that makes the critical hardware that helps keep planes, helicopters, and rockets in the air. We help people fly safely.
Why join our team?
- Work with the latest manufacturing technology
- Work with modern ERP and information systems
- Learn new skills while estimating and engineering high tech aircraft components
- Benefit from the security of an established 3rd generation family business
- Work with a team that lives the motto: Work hard, play hard
You will rely on your prior experience and skills to support our Manufacturing function. This first shift Cost Estimator/Process Engineer position is part of the Manufacturing Team and is based at Horst Engineering (East Hartford, CT).
The role is responsible for creating cost estimates for precision machined components and assemblies. The engineer analyzes drawings, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to prepare time, cost, and labor costs for products, projects and services.
Major areas of responsibility:
- Create cost estimates for precision machined parts and assemblies.
- Analyze drawings, specifications, proposals, and other documentation to sequence operations and build methods of manufacture.
- Analyze data to develop and specify manufacturing and machining processes.
- Use engineering drawings, records and operation sheets, make cost estimates using MS Excel and ERP software.
- Utilize knowledge of various machines, speeds and feeds, engineering practices, materials and CNC machining processes to develop manufacturing processes.
- Research supplier costs for raw material and special process, using customer approved suppliers.
- Computes cost factors and prepares estimates used for management purposes such as: planning, organizing, and scheduling work; preparing bids; selecting vendors or subcontractors; and determining cost effectiveness.
- Organizes and manages a centralized cost estimating database and a formal process to support cost estimating to ensure historical data is utilized.
- Provides improvement recommendations to cost estimating procedures to reduce future discrepancies between estimated and actual costs.
- Identifies cost trends to assist management in cost reduction and process improvement efforts.
- Assist other engineering functions as needed.
- Associates Degree in Manufacturing Engineering or Industrial Technology or requisite experience
- 5 years of manufacturing experience in a job shop environment.
- Must have a solid understanding of a wide variety of machining and forming processes including Swiss screw machining, screw machining, turning, milling, thread rolling, grinding, honing, and assembly.
- Strong organizational, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Must have proficient computer MS Excel, MS Outlook, and familiarity with ERP systems (e.g. Epicor ERP)
- CAD (Solidworks) skills are a plus.
- Must have a solid understanding of a wide variety of typical aerospace industry raw materials and subcontracted special processes including heat treatment, coatings, and testing.